Today’s lesson: You’ll win nothing with kids.
1. Ronald Koeman mistakenly thinks he’s in charge of the Everton youth team, after starting four players all under 22 years of age, including the surprise inclusion of Mathew Pennington.
2. Joel Robles forgets his angles after twice being beaten with some questionable positioning. First Mane’s acute effort wrong foots Robles for the opener, and he was at it again in the second half when Divock Origi’s strike would have been straight down his throat if he hadn’t left the middle of the goal vacant.
3. Pennington goes from ecstasy to agony in the space of 177 seconds after first scoring in front of the Kop, only to then see Coutinho drift past him and curl one into the top corner. Welcome to the Premier League.
4. Jurgen Klopp is officially in love with the Merseyside derby after becoming the first Liverpool manager to win his first three. Expect a billboard sized flag emblazoned with the German’s face to be waving on the adoring Kop very soon.
5. No Mane, no problem? Divock Origi proved he might be able to step in for the injured Sadio Mane, scoring just two minutes after coming on for the Senegalese forward.